Office 365 ADFS certificate expired

Today I faced a problem. The ADFS certificate that we used for Office 365 was going to expire over 2 weeks. However the connection to Office 365 already was failing. I do not exactly know what the policy is for ADFS of outdated certificates but it looks like ADFS already invalidates certificates two weeks before they really expire.

This is not an Office 365 problem because other services that used our ADFS also had the same problem. To solve it on the other services it was simply updating the thumbprint of the trusted issuer but how do you do this in Office 365?

I succeeded with the following steps
  1. Start up "Microsoft Online Services-module for Windows Powershell". You can download this module for PowerShell if you not already done this on (http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff652560.aspx ).
  2. Connect to your Office 365 environement by the following statement
$cred = Get-Credential

  1. Use your first admin account to login (the account with the onmicrosoft.com address). If you do not have this account anymore then I do not know a solution. Your normal account probably will not work because ADFS is failing. The first time I did this I got an message that my password needed to be changed and I need to contact the administrator.... You can however change it by login in on https://portal.microsoftonline.com/ and using your old password.
  2. Next step is to connect to Office 365 by the following statement
Connect-MsolService -Credential $cred
  1. When succeeded you can check the current thumbprint with the following statement
Get-MsolFederationProperty -domainname "your adfs domain name"
  1. When there are faults in the federation properties then you can reset it by first running the following command
Set-MsolADFSContext -computer "your adfs internal server name"
  1. Followed by the following statement to update your federation domain in Office 365
Update-MsolFederatedDomain

That fixed the problem for me. Probably I am going to need this blog next year again....

Comments

AAD said…
powershell saves the day !
erectile said…
This web site truly has all the information I wanted concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.
Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this blog. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appeal. I must say you have done a awesome job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Internet explorer. Excellent Blog!

Popular posts from this blog

System.Net.Http dll version problems

SharePoint Survey Back Button

How to set up AD FS for a development machine